Half of our lives we spend inside of our business space walls. It is hard to argue that the space should probably be a pleasant place to be in. No wonder elevating our mood has become a new trend on the market of commercial interior design. Take a look at all the new trendy offices of large companies such as Facebook, Skype, Google or Twitter. These companies focus on integrating happiness into their interiors and into the philosophy of their companies. So what can we add to our business interiors to bring out such a desired feeling of happiness? What would make the difference without spending a huge amount of money? Here are some suggestions from a professional architectural designer.
1. Bring Nature Inside. We all know the benefits plants can add to our environment. They clean our air and make us feel relaxed. Did you know that they also help people to recover from mental fatigue? We are not meant to be inside of buildings for 8 hours a day and having interior plants will break that barrier between us and the outside world, at least on a small scale.
2. Add Happy Colors. Fresh bright colors will change your office or any other space into a new exciting surrounding! You do not have to go only with yellow tones to bring our happiness, even though yellow has been known to do just so. Pick your favorite color and try finding alternatives using a new App on your phone. It’s easy and fun!
See this wall sconce HERE.
3. Adjust Your Lighting. Your current lighting may not be adjusted or even designed for the tasks you are doing right now. Look around. Can you see well under your lights? What would make you see better? I can’t tell enough about the importance of having an adequate day lighting in your space for your health benefits. But not always you can get sun lights in your business space. Try getting your artificial light as close to a day light as possible.
4. Add Background Sound. Whatever business space you spend your time in, office or a restaurant, sound plays a large role in your mood changes. Choose wisely what you are listening to all day long. Continuous moderate sounds may irritate us without us realizing it. Maybe adding a white noise would be the best choice for you. Read my article on sound selection for various businesses HERE.
5. Change Your Chair. One of the quickest and most dramatic improvement in your work space would be replacing your old furniture you are using on every day bases. Read HERE on how to choose your new chair.
And please let me know if you’ve used any of these suggestions in your business. Also, learn How to Shape Up Your Business Space.